- Key Campus Locations for PODC 2018
- On-Campus Accommodation
- WiFi Access
- Car Parking Arrangements
- Medical Assistance
- Sport Facilities
- Shops and ATMs
- Local Restaurants
- Contact Information
Below is the summary of the Royal Holloway campus locations where the PODC’18 events will be taking place. These are also marked on the annotated campus map (clickable). You can also download the full campus map to help you find your way around the campus.
|Conference and workshop sessions||Windsor Building|
|Registration||Windsor Building Foyer (8AM – 4PM). Attendee packs will be available to the on-campus guests at check-in.|
|Lunches and coffee breaks||Windsor Building Foyer|
|Jennifer Welch Jubilee||Boilerhouse Auditorium|
|Welcome Reception||Picture Gallery, Founder’s Building|
|Business Meeting||Windsor Building Main Auditorium|
|Happy Hour||Windsor Building Foyer|
|Banquet||Founder’s Dining Hall (Founder’s East, 1st floor)|
|Breakfast and dinner for the on-campus guests||Founder’s Dining Hall (Founder’s East, 1st floor)|
|The Hub Reception|
|On-campus accommodation||Wedderburn Hall|
On-campus accommodation is in Wedderburn Hall and includes breakfast on all nights, and full board on conference and workshop nights. All rooms include the following:
- Double bed
- En-suite shower room
- Access to a communal pantry with a refrigerator, microwave oven, and tea and coffee making facilities (fairtrade products)
- Secure key card access and lifts to all floors
- Linen, towels and basic toiletries
- Wheelchair accessible bedrooms available upon request
- Free car parking
Regular check-in is on Sunday until 22:00 at the Hub Reception.
If you will be arriving late at night (after 22:00), please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call
+44  1784 443285, before your arrival date.
If your arrival is later than 22.00, our security staff at The Hub reception will be able to issue your key and give directions to your Wedderburn room. If a member of the security team has provided the key, please ensure you check in with The Hub or Founder’s reception the following day to confirm your arrival. Our security team can be contacted on +44  1784 443063.
Our Customer Services team can be contacted on +44  1784 443052 between 07:00 and 22:00 if required.
Please remember to bring electrical adaptors with you if traveling from abroad and note that rooms do not have shaver sockets.
Your towels and bed linen will be changed every 3rd day.
Please check out by 10:00 on the day of departure. Please return room key cards to the Hub reception to complete the check-out process. Limited luggage storage is available at the Hub reception, so there will be a room allocated for luggage in the Windsor Building on Friday 27th July.
Taxis for departure can be ordered through the Conference Assistants up to Friday and from The Hub reception from then onwards. Taxi share is encouraged to avoid a higher carbon footprint for the conference and to save money.
Breakfast (Monday – Saturday): 7:00 – 9:00 (Founder’s Dining Hall)
Dinner (Sunday): 18:00 – 20:00 (Founder’s Dining Hall)
Dinner (Monday – Wednesday): 18:00 – 20:30 (Founder’s Dining Hall)
BBQ (Thursday): 18:00 – 23:00 (Founder’s South Quad, drinks will be available for purchase at the adjacent Crosslands Bar)
Dinner (Friday): 18:00 – 20:00 (Staff Common Room)
Free WiFi access to CampusNet, Royal Holloway high speed wireless internet service, is available across the entire campus. Eduroam is also available throughout the campus, and the signal quality is normally pretty decent.
To log on CampusNet:
- Select CampusNet WiFi network
- Open internet browser
- Of the 2 available options, click on the ‘Guest User’ option
- Enter username and password:
After 60 seconds, you will be asked to close down and open the browser again. You will only have to complete this registration process once for the duration of your stay. The same username and password will be required if accessing the internet in the bedrooms. Details are provided on the reverse of your key envelope.
If for any reason the above instructions do not work, please enter the following into your browser:
and press enter. Follow the instructions on screen and enter the above Username and Password when prompted.
You will only have to complete this process once as the code covers the duration of your stay/event.
For those arriving at London airports, we strongly recommend that you do not take the expensive black cabs, but call either Windsor Cars http://www.windsorcars.com/ (+44 1753 677677) or Gemini Cars http://www.geminicars.co.uk/ (01784 471111). Windsor Cars have a dedicated email for pre-booking journeys: email@example.com. Most local taxi companies know the Royal Holloway campus well and should be able to drop you at the correct area for check-in.
Taxi from Heathrow
If called on arrival, the cash price from London Heathrow (any terminal) is approximately £21.00. The driver will meet you at a given location within arrivals. The collection point at Terminals 1-4 is at W H Smith in arrivals. At Terminal 5, the collection point is at Costa Coffee. The collection point will be confirmed when you call. Please note payment by credit card will incur a charge.
If pre-booked, the cash price from London Heathrow (any terminal) is approximately £26.00. The driver will meet you in arrivals with a named sign. Please note payment by credit card will incur a charge.
Taxi from Gatwick
A taxi from Gatwick costs £63.00 and must be pre-booked. This price includes a 40 minute waiting time and parking for up to an hour once the flight has landed. Please note payment by credit card will incur a charge.
Sharing a taxi with other delegates will help keep costs to a minimum.
There is a reasonable bus service from Heathrow Terminal 5 to Royal Holloway. The number 8 bus leaves from outside Terminal 5 and not from the Central Bus Station. If you arrive at another terminal, please follow flight connection signs for internal airport transfer to T5. Timetables for the number 8 can be found through the following link:
There are frequent services from London Waterloo to Egham (35-40 minutes); Woking to Egham (35 minutes, change at Weybridge) and Reading to Egham (40 minutes). Services at weekends, especially those on Sundays, are less frequent than on weekdays. Train links to the rest of the country are available via the London stations or Reading. There are usually taxis waiting outside Egham station to take you to Royal Holloway, which is located less than a mile from the station. https://www.southwesternrailway.com/.
Royal Holloway is on the A30, 19 miles from central London and about a mile south-west of the town of Egham. It is 2 miles from junction 13 of the M25 (London Orbital). After leaving the motorway, take the A30 west, signposted to Bagshot and Camberley (this is the Egham by-pass). At the first roundabout, take the second exit. At the second roundabout, take the second exit and continue on the A30 up Egham Hill. Royal Holloway is on the left at the top of the hill. Free parking is available on campus. The car parks are indicated on the campus map. The SAT NAV post code is TW20 0EX.
ACM PODC delegates will not need to register their vehicles in advance and therefore the car park signage requesting visitors to register their vehicles does not apply. The campus map shows a variety of car parks on site. For ACM PODC 2018 guests, we would suggest P4, P8 or P12 car parks.
As car parking spaces are free of charge, they cannot be booked and are allocated on a first come, first served basis. In the unlikely event that the on-campus car parks are full, please use P14 or 14a on the north side of the A30, off Harvest Road.
Please note no parking is allowed on the roads by the Halls of Residence, or in the reserved bays along the west side of Founder’s, opposite the hockey field. All parking must be legal, or Penalty Charge Notices will be issued.
If you should become unwell or suffer an injury, there are several options. The nearest Accident and Emergency department is at St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey. Medicines can also be purchased in the Union Shop on Campus.
Residential delegates have complimentary use of the Fitness Suite, an on-site gym which houses popular fitness equipment such as treadmills, weights and cross trainers. Guests wishing to use the Fitness Suite should report to and register at the Sports Centre reception, stating that they are a
conference guest user with ACM PODC 2018.
Badminton, squash, tennis and five-a side football facilities are available. The tennis courts in front of the Founder’s building are free of charge. All other facilities need to be paid for at the Sports Centre reception.
If you are interested in a game of tennis and need racquets and tennis balls, please drop an Email to Gregory.Chockler@rhul.ac.uk.
The ‘Union Shop’ is located in the Davison building, which is the next door to the Windsor building. Opening hours: Monday – Sunday: 8.00am – 8.00pm. Other shops can be found in nearby Egham and Englefield Green.
There are ATMs at the Students Union Building and at the Windsor Building. Other ATMs can be found in Egham and at the BP petrol station on the A30 towards Egham.
- Megna: On the main street of Englefield Green, providing classic tasty dishes and consistently great service for reasonable prices. Address: 2 St Jude’s Road, Englefield Green, Surrey TW20 0DB.
- Magic Wok: Authentic Beijing and Sichuan dishes on the Egham High Street. Address: 17 High Street, Egham
- Eat Thai: Provides traditional and fusion Thai dishes conveniently situated on Egham High Street. Address: 67 High Street, Egham
- Prezzo: A member of the UK chain that provides simple, tasty Italian dishes. Address: 2 Egham Hill, Egham, TW20 0AY
- Caspari: A gem of a local restaurant that serves traditional Italian food cooked beautifully. Address: 4 St Jude’s Road, Englefield Green, TW20 0DB
- Caffé Gondola: A lively Italian restaurant that also boasts a bar, and dishes out cheap, good food and quick service. Address: 168 High Street, Egham, TW20 9HP
- The Packhorse: Now leased by Royal Holloway, this newly refurbished pub (formerly known as the Monkey’s Forehead) offers decent food at fair prices. Located opposite the college towards Egham. Address: 70 Egham Hill, Egham TW20 0BQ, Egham Hill, Egham
- The Barley Mow: A historic pub situated on the green after which Englefield Green is named. Address: Englefield Green, Egham TW20 0NX
- The Red Lion: A newly renovated pub that has kept serves hearty homemade food. Address: 52 High Street, Egham, TW20 9EW
- The Beehive: A cosy pub that serves traditional pub food and German dishes as well. Address: 34 Middle Hill, Englefield Green, TW20 0JQ
- The Fox and Hounds: A large, traditional English pub in Englefield Green, serving great food and wine. Located at one of the entrances to Windsor Great Park. Address: Bishopsgate Rd, Englefield Green, Egham TW20 0XU
Fish and seafood
- Loch Fyne Restaurant: A member of the UK chain of fish restaurants that serves fresh British fish and seafood. Address: 5-6 High Street, Egham, Surrey TW20 9EA
- Sushi Hana: Cozy little restaurant that serves fresh Japanese and Korean food, with great, friendly service. Address: 17 Station Road, Egham, TW20 9LD
- Bar 163: For something a little fancier, this is the place to go. Delicious food, tasteful décor, and a walled garden which is perfect to enjoy your meal in on a Summer evening. Address: 163 High Street, Egham, TW20 9HP
- Hugo’s Bar and Grill: Hugo’s has a cocktail bar and a selection of simple, hearty dishes. Occasionally a musician will perform there, which only adds to the lively atmosphere. Address: 72 High Street, Egham, TW20 9EY
In the event of a fire or other emergency, please leave via the nearest emergency exit. Delegates should then go to the nearest Assembly Point indicated by a large Green and White sign. Each building has its own Assembly Point, which is identified by a number or letter, their location is given on the Fire Action Notices located at each Fire Alarm Call Point. A check that everyone attending the Symposium is present will then be made.
If you discover a fire you must:
- Operate the nearest fire alarm
- Leave the building by the nearest exit
- Go to your designated Assembly Point
- Fire Fighting Equipment must only be used by persons who have been trained to do so, and only after the alarm has been sounded.
Fire Evacuation procedure
If the Fire Alarm sounds at any time other than a scheduled testing time (or for longer than 30 seconds on a scheduled test, as above) then you must:
- Leave the building by the nearest exit
- Close doors behind you
- Report to your designated Assembly Point
- Do not return to the building until authorised to do so
- Do not use lifts
- Founder’s Building only – A red light will flash at the entrances/exits to the Building when the fire alarm has been activated and re-entry into the building will only be allowed when these lights are turned off (regardless of whether the sounders are sounding.)
All gangways, passages staircases and exits must be kept clear from any obstruction at all times.
The following contacts will be available to help with any queries related to the venue, registration, payments, social events, on-campus accommodation and facilities, travel, and local information:
- Gregory Chockler, PODC’18 Organizing Chair, Gregory.Chockler@rhul.ac.uk
- Jacob Robinson/ Sayaka Ono/ Becca Wicking/ Jess Porritt, Conference Assistants,
- Customer Services, +44  1784 443285: accommodation reception
- Royal Holloway Security Emergency Response (24 hours): +44  1784 443888 or
+44  1784 443063