This page identifies some events taking place in Portland, Oregon, during the week of PODC and related workshops.
Bridge Pedal and Bridge StridePortland is located at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers, and there are (at least) ten automobile bridges over the Willamette within city limits.
Once a year, there is an organized benefit bike ride (Bridge Pedal) over the bridges (including the highway bridges, which are closed for part of the day). There is also an organized walk (Bridge Stride), which may be of more interest to those who are not planning to bring (or rent) a bike. This year, the events are on Sunday, August 12 (in the early morning). Given that the weather in August is usually wonderful, this is an excellent opportunity to get beautiful views of the city and the river and is timed perfectly for PODC participants who might be arriving on Saturday, August 11.
Riders can choose from options that cover 10 bridges (36 miles), 8 bridges (24 miles), or 6 bridges (14 miles). The Bridge Stride goes over 2 bridges (including the Fremont Bridge, a highway bridge 175 feet above the river).
The Bite of OregonThe Bite of Oregon is a weekend celebration of food that takes place on the waterfront in Portland, less than half a mile from the conference hotel. It features local food, wine, beer, and entertainment. This year, it is scheduled for August 10-12 and is thus timed well for those arriving in Portland before PODC. Click here for more information.
Oregon International Air ShowThe Oregon International Air Show is also taking place August 10-12. This year, it features the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Jump Team, and many other performers. The show takes place at the Hillsboro Airport, about 15 miles west of the conference hotel. Those with cars can drive there in about half an hour. It is also easily accessible by public transportation (a 40-minute ride west on the Blue MAX train, which operates every 15 minutes during the weekend). Click here for more information.
CinemaPortland has much to offer the moviegoer, including many screens easily accessible from the conference hotel. The following independent theatres are recommended for things beyond the usual fare:
The Northwest Film Center
screens films in the Whitsell Auditorium of the
Portland Art Museum,
which is only about four blocks from the conference hotel.
The following films will be screened around the time of PODC:
- Friday, August 10. Lolita (1962, Stanley Kubrick)
- Saturday, August 11. Dr. Strangelove (1964, Stanley Kubrick)
- Saturday, August 11. Killer's Kiss (1955, Stanley Kubrick)
- Thursday, August 16. My Grandmother's House (2005, from Spain)
- Thursday, August 16. Sullivan's Travels (1941, Preston Sturges); shown out of doors, near downtown
- The Living Room Theaters are located at Stark Street and 10th Avenue in Southwest Portland, an easy walk from the conference hotel (it is about a block from Powell's Bookstore). In addition to six intimate auditoriums, there is a bar and light food service. The theaters generally show foreign and independent films. Click here for a list of films that may be playing around the time of PODC.
- Cinema 21 is independent theatre in Northwest Portland. It can be reached from downtown most easily via the Portland Streetcar (there are also buses). During PODC, it will be screening No End in Sight, a documentary on the Iraq war that has received much acclaim.